Thursday, June 25, 2009

where it's at

Hello homies.

Wow. It seems like it's been a while since my last rendezvous with this bloggy-blog, so here we are. I've realized that I usually like to blog on sunny days. As it must with most people, the weather really determines my mood most of the time, and as such, I have been quite down for the past couple of weeks. Barring a few key exceptions, which I will outline later.

But yes, SUN! I saw the forecast yesterday and humbly prepared by going to bed early (yes, I was in bed by 11:15 and asleep soon after, Wegs!) with the intent of getting to the lab early and finishing early and going outside before dark! Alas, I slept through all FOUR! of my alarms. But still managed to wake up at 8:15, an hour after I had planned. But then we decided to run Western blots--yes, the devil process--today again, but I managed to slip out at five for dinner and finish up the blot by 6:30-ish. And then I went running!!!!!

It was a good run; I did my usual loop around the Charles, which is about three and half miles. And when I say usual, I mean that I've only done it a handful of times. Still. I get prouder and prouder of myself every time. I just have to be consistent about doing it. I want to run four miles every other day if possible. Motivation needed. Good weather would be nice.
So after my run, I sat at the BU beach and watched the sun set. Two words, because the sun was in the act of setting, and I watched that. I was there for almost an hour. For the longest time, I thought to myself, If this isn't nice, I don't know what is. A tribute to my buddy Kurt Vonnegut, whom I call a buddy--even though we never met in person--because we met through his books and I give him the respect that I would give to a buddy. Fun fact: I do not know how to use the word "whom."
Two girls were laying on the beach writing in notebooks. After a while I heard one reading to the other what she had written. I couldn't really make out the exact words, but it sounded good. She was really into it. It was quiet. It looked like something I would like to do.
It was nice looking out over the water, which was slowly turning a very purposeful shade of yellow, nearing orange but not quite there. I'm still not convinced it's a real color. The river changed its character, made it a little darker. I've never seen that hue before; I should go out more often.

Anyway, I realized again today how different I've become over this past year. I think it's just being here that changed me. It's strange because I feel like I fit here, because things move so rapidly that you barely have time to acknowledge them before they're gone. I am very fast-paced person, I admit, and it's strange and interesting that living in a setting that moves as quickly as I do actually makes me slow down and look around and stop to smell the roses and appreciate things more. You know, living life... that's where it's at.

But yes, wrapping up now. I promised to tell you all about the things that made my week--maybe more than my week--really really good. 1: DRESDEN!!! Yes, I am going, yes, I am going to have a blast, YES, I will travel Europe! It is most excellent. 2: Wegs and I got Mr. Meanie Housing Manager to agree to let us room together!!! Actually it was mostly Wegs sending him a very curt and polite email in which we threatened to send our thug friends after him if he didn't change the assignment. And we didn't even have to pretend to be lesbians after all...

That's all for tonight, folks!

3 comments:

  1. 1. i was asleep by 11:15. so i totally beat you.
    2. i will run with you! i just packed my clothes and almost forgot running clothes =o
    3. i know how to use the word "whom" so i can teach you if you want. you did use it correctly i believe.
    4. pretending to be lesbians could have been fun...lol. but im glad it was easier than that! i cant wait to be there!!!!!
    5. im glad i have time to comment on your blog but not write my first entry on my own. =X

    ReplyDelete
  2. yays for updates. i still have to do mine ... poops

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading about how you observe the world Angie.

    ReplyDelete