Friday, July 3, 2009

singin' in the rain

Lalala. July!

So it's officially summer (or has been for quite some time... even if our weather does not acknowledge this) and this reminds me of none other than SUMMERY MUSIC and la-dee-da-ing.

Let's pick 10 random--or not so random--songs that I love to listen to in the month of July:

1. A Sunday Smile, Beirut
Conveniently, this is always the first song on my shuffle list. If you haven't heard Beirut, I do recommend trying them out for a spin. Yes, they are--like much of my musical choices--highly instrumental and folksy. However, even if you aren't really into that sort of stuff, folksy = summery in my book, and this unique little mélange of a song might really tickle your fancy. Who knows?

2. Marching Bands of Manhattan, Death Cab for Cutie
I'd have to say that I got really into Death Cab late-ish in my junior year, and haven't really gotten into any of their new stuff since. This song from '05, though a bit more mainstream-sounding than I typically like, is reminiscent of Death Cab the way I knew/know them. A.k.a. slightly reminiscent of The Postal Service. Which I am told is because they have/had the same lead singer. They could still sound different, right? Anyway, give it a listen.

3. Some of Them Were Superstitious, Midlake
So as far as I know, I may be the only person who has ever heard of Midlake. But I enjoy them IMMENSELY, especially this song, which, as I may have mentioned to some people, makes me feel like I am on LSD. Actually I have no idea what that feels like, but it sounds like what I imagine it might feel like. Anyway, this song is highly unique and has been a consistent favorite of mine. And, seeing as no one I have ever talked to in person has heard of this band, I suggest to all you readers out there (if you're still out there) to definitely give this one a go.

4. The Bandit Queen (with "Dialogue" and "Tap Dancing"), The Decemberists
Yes, in fact, my blogging identity is inspired by this very song, which is by far one of my favorites from the well-esteemed group The Decemberists. I beseech you to listen to not only this song, but also many others from this staple of indie/folk rock lovers' playlists. This particular song makes me feel very piratesque (that's a word?!), a word (apparently) that also reminds me of their album Picaresque. That's beside the point. Nonetheless, a very playful little ditty with some interesting instrumental parts (and tap dancing!)

5. The Blower's Daughter, Damien Rice

I'm personally surprised that the music of this Irish folk rocker isn't more popular. His stuff is acoustically and lyrically lovely. If nothing else, he often features a female backup singer (this part always blows me away), and "The Blower's Daughter" has some lovely cello parts. The video, which is apparently "official," is kinda nice too, as it features deliciousness in the forms of one Jude Law, the ever-sexy Clive Owen, Damien Rice himself (scruffy = yummy), and of course the lovely Natalie Portman. Oh yeah, and I guess Julia Roberts and that random singer girl. Oops. Yes, yes, shots from the movie Closer, which I would like to see sometime in the near future. Moving on.

6. Think I Wanna Die, Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin
I can't say that I still love, or ever loved, Boris Yeltsin, but apparently someone does. This song is typical Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin, and as such, is fun and has dance-y potential. Also, you can hear the words! I saw them live this past year, and they were good (and very sweaty... sorry!) but you couldn't hear the lyrics as well, so that's an upside to listening "unlive."

7. Swing Swing, All American Rejects
Definitely the outlier of this set, this song has always gotten me super excited. I think it feeds to my life-long aspiration to learn the drums. I rock out without fail to this song. Also, the theme of lost love and heartbreak always draws me in. Muahaha. That, there, was a joke if you didn't catch it.

8. Resurrection Fern, Iron and Wine
Iron and Wine
is some sort of heaven-sent gift that I probably don't deserve. Nevertheless, I am completely and utterly obsessed with this "band" (?), a.k.a. Sam Beam, who has the voice of an angel and sounds absolutely amazing live (from the recordings I've heard). Oh boy. This one, "Resurrection Fern," is for summer evenings when the sky is turning red and a slight breeze disturbs the reflection of the sunset over the water. It's definitely in my top 5 songs as of right now. P.S. Just because Twilight used a lovely song by Iron and Wine (at the behest of Kristen Stewart) in their lame attempt at a movie, does not mean that the band or the song is corrupted in any sense. Even if we all hate (sorry, "greatly dislike") Kristen Stewart, at least we know she has semi-decent musical tastes.

9. Know Your Onion, The Shins
This song popped my Shins cherry. I can't really say much else about it, except that if you like The Shins, this one's a real treat. A good running song too!

10. Blue Eyes, the Cary Brothers (Garden State soundtrack)
I bought the Garden State soundtrack last month and I've been listening to it, basically nonstop, lately. I'm not exactly sure why I like this song so much, but I do. Plus obviously I couldn't put up another Shins or Iron and Wine song, so that limited my options. Not really. This soundtrack is filled with goodies!

Looks like that's it. That took much longer than expected... someone better read this!

4 comments:

  1. just wanted to let you know that i love damien rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie... I like your playlist! I have heard of Midlake, and actually the song Young Bride reminds me of you :)

    ReplyDelete