Tuesday, July 14, 2009

fromage

Hi guys. So it's been about a week since my last post, and I thought it was about time for an update, even though there's really not much to say... Hold that thought. Maybe there is. Just maybe.

I'm doing a very select few things right now. I am making a weird facial expression. I am uncrossing and recrossing my legs. I am lamenting the food in the dining hall. I am listening to Patt's birthday CD mix (happy face!) I am procrastinating on the presentation/science-y talk that I have to give on Thursday and Friday. The end.

One more thing: I am awaiting the premiere of the Harry Potter movie. T-minus five hours.

I am reading Toni Morrison's Beloved. Not at this precise moment. Still. A couple of weeks ago, I discovered that I was nowhere as literate as I thought myself to be. And, being an elitist, this greatly lowered my esteem of myself... self-esteem, if you will. This revelation, that I--of all people--lover and champion of literature, was not well-read in the least, was saddening by all means. That day, I picked up Barnes and Noble's list of "classics." The list is not exhaustive, no sir and no ma'am, but it gives me somewhere to start, eh? I'd still like to think, though, that despite my lack of quantity in the books I have read, I got as much and more out of them than the average reader. I connect with characters, and words (pretty words). I am beholden to the kindly people who author these beautiful concoctions, these strings of arbitrary letters that fuse together in some sort of meaning or un-meaning that nevertheless tug at my heartstrings and often tear them. Pain, beautiful and delicious, heartfelt, realer than life. What an irony, eh?

Enough of that. The point is this: I love books. Hence the reading. There's nothing sexier than being literate.

Anyway, can't wait for Michelle and Imaly to come this week... it's going to be awesome, I firmly believe! Now, off to that presentation! Mayhaps.

1 comment:

  1. I hope your reading and friending and going well! By friending, I mean your friends that were visiting. I verbed it.
    I need a new post!!!!!! I got your comments on mine... and so I know you're still alive... and I wanna see what else you've been up to!

    ReplyDelete