Saturday, June 13, 2009

cruisin' around, raisin' hell

Ah, the weekend! So I've been here two weeks now and I finally went out and did stuff that I wanted to do, since I have a buttload of free time on the weekends. Thankfully, it was beautiful out, sunny and high 60's and just a tiny hint of a breeze.
Oh yes, and I finally found the laundry machines. They're located in pretty much the creepiest place ever. Like horror movie creepy. Ooooh.

But anyway, I went for a run today, which really made me feel good. Even though my knees kinda killed at the beginning. But that's the thing about Boston: walking down the Esplanade, I see so many people running or rollerblading or biking or otherwise workin' on their fitness (he's my witness). And then I feel like crap if I'm not running (feel free to disagree here). I think it happens in just about every big city (the fittest city I've seen is San Francisco, where everyone is toned and tan). I'd like to think I could be the same. So the run made me feel a little more accomplished. I want to be able to do four to five miles by the end of summer. All you runners out there, yes, it sounds pretty pathetic, but it's a good goal for me.
Along the Esplanade, there's this new "Parcourse FitCenter" or something like that. There's some contraptions -- very simple ones, mind you -- set up there for people to do pull-ups and all sorts of other fancy exercises. I've never seen girls there. The guys I have seen there while running past have all been exceptionally built and good-looking. I should stop by more often. And that's one of the best parts of summer... guys taking off their shirts left and right. The only thing you have to watch out for on the Esplanade is old guys who have lost their shirts... ew. And so we try to ignore them.

I stopped at City Co. briefly on my way back from my run... got an iced tea. The guy at the counter called me "hun." I was a bit weirded out by that. Should I be weirded out by that? Anyway, I was sitting on a bench in the shade when this little bird, maybe a baby sparrow of some sort, popped out of nowhere. This bird did not walk. It hopped, very cute-like, in a semi-circle around my bench. Halfway around, pausing only a split-second and barely missing a beat, it popped out a miniscule little turd on the sidewalk. And then proceeded to continue being cute. I found it oddly funny. I guess you had to be there.

I went to Faneuil Hall later this afternoon, had some clam chowda, watched some street performers. They were this duo that did circus-like tricks, like juggling bowling pins and knives and such. And acrobatic stunts. They were pretty cute (looks AND personality, which is the best part). I gave them a dollar, which was surprising even to me. But mostly because they used this little kid (probably 5 or 6 years old) as a volunteer and basically made his day. He was very cute also. But not in the same way.
I got two CD's at Newbury Comics, both of which I am quite excited about. One is the Garden State soundtrack, which includes music by THE SHINS! Hooray. Then, there's The Shepherd Dog, an album from IRON AND WINE!!! which I am obsessed with. Also I reconnected with my old Coldplay CD that I bought in the fall with Wegs. Lots of listening tonight.

Mhm mhm. And now I have returned from my epic journey to my good ol' computer. It has been a good day. Doing some light reading on the BU Beach tomorrow if weather allows? Mayhaps.

4 comments:

  1. um please return one of your cds..it's kinda detrimental that you do

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I don't know what you're talking about Shellykins! Be more constructive with your feedback, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like you had an awesome day. i love the fergilicious reference haha. what was the song by the shins? and i am always weirded out when some stranger calls me some mushy name like hun. it's gross. i would have made a face and then proceeded to make the situation extremely awkward.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They had "Caring is Creepy" and "New Slang" on the CD.

    And agreed about the random creepy dude.

    ReplyDelete